As you might know, I have been anticipating the release of Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody for a while (okay, for over half a year…) and I was so happy to have received an eARC but even more, I’m also in the Ace of Shades street team (go #Scars!). Ace of Shades has been compared to Six of Crows (I mean, now you have to read it, right?) and is about a girl, Enne, who is trying to find her mother in the City of Sin with gangs and criminals and I’ll just let you read the synopsis (below) because it’s amazing. This tag was created by some members of the Doves, which is another team in the AoS street team: Katy and Min. Thanks guys! (also thanks for letting me do this tag :))
Welcome to the City of Sin, where casino families reign, gangs infest the streets…
and secrets hide in every shadow.
Enne Salta was raised as a proper young lady, and no lady would willingly visit New Reynes, the so-called City of Sin. But when her mother goes missing, Enne must leave her finishing school—and her reputation—behind to follow her mother’s trail to the city where no one survives uncorrupted.
Frightened and alone, her only lead is a name: Levi Glaisyer. Unfortunately, Levi is not the gentleman she expected—he’s a street lord and a con man. Levi is also only one payment away from cleaning up a rapidly unraveling investment scam, so he doesn’t have time to investigate a woman leading a dangerous double life. Enne’s offer of compensation, however, could be the solution to all his problems.
Their search for clues leads them through glamorous casinos, illicit cabarets and into the clutches of a ruthless mafia donna. As Enne unearths an impossible secret about her past, Levi’s enemies catch up to them, ensnaring him in a vicious execution game where the players always lose. To save him, Enne will need to surrender herself to the city…
And she’ll need to play.
1. Ace of Shades takes place in the very mysterious, very dangerous City of Sin. Name a fictional city with a personality of its own!
I can think of a lot of cities, including Gomorrah (festival/city in Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody), Ketterdam (Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo), Verity (This Savage Song by V.E. Schwab) but my favourite is probably Red London from the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab! Red London is so magical! With the red river and the market, I just need to see it. (someone make a movie please)
2. The City of Sin is home to three ruthless gangs: the Irons, the Scarhands and the Doves. Tell us about your favorite fictional criminal family/gang!
I can’t not say this is the dregs from Six of Crows. Kaz, Inej, Nina, Wylan, Jesper and Matthias are an amazing group of criminals. They’re sassy, a little ruthless but have a small heart.
3. Enne and Levi are about to be thrown into a deadly game… Name your favorite book in which the characters must play with, and for, their lives.
The first that comes to mind, is of course, The Hunger Games. And I think everyone knows why haha.
4. The Doves are a gang of assassins… What book you’d kill to have in your hands right now?
Obsidio. Now, please.
Sadly it’ll be released in March and I’ll have to wait, and very impatiently I might add.
5. The City of Sin is full of people with dark and complicated pasts. Name one book or book series you used to like, but don’t anymore.
I actually wrote a post about this on Sunday, but The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare is definitely one I don’t like much anymore.
6. With complicated pasts abound, we can find many… burnt cinnamon rolls, so to speak. Name a character that has prickly and tough exterior, but is actually a sweetheart deep down!
Nik from Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Nik is a sassy criminal and part of a gang, but don’t let that fool you, he’s secretly a sweetheart.
7. Not only anti-heroes live in the Ace of Shades world! In New Reynes, one can find plenty of villains as well. Which bookish character do you just love to hate?
It will probably not come as a surprise but I hate Snape from Harry Potter and I love hating Snape. Anyone who loves him can fight me (wait please don’t, I’ll never stop trying to convince you otherwise).
8. You, much like our main character Enne’s mother, went missing in the City of Sin. The main character from the last book you read is the one looking for you… How screwed are you?
Emika from Warcross by Marie Lu. Uhm, well, it depends. Did I do something bad? Because then I’m probably be very screwed. If not, I’m good 🙂
Are you anticipating Ace of Shades as much as I am? What’s your favourite fictional city and gang? How screwed are you if the main character from your last read comes after you?
If you want to do this tag, go ahead! I’d love to see your answers!